Research scientist (chargé de recherche) at INRAE in Biostatistics and Spatial Processes (BioSP) team.
Member of the chair GEOLEARNING.
Domaine St. Paul, 228 route de l'Aérodrome, 84914 Avignon (France).
Researcher ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8182-0152
I study the spatiotemporal statistics of weather at the local scale, their linkages with climate, and their impacts on hydro-systems.
- Space-time geostatistics.
- Stochastic weather generators.
- Statistical meteorology.
- Environmental Sensor Networks (ESNs) for local scale and in-situ weather monitoring.
- Statistical enhancement (quality-check, filtering, interpolation, gap-filling) of ESN data.
- Characterization and simulation of rainfall space-time bevahior, with focus on orographic effects and intermittency.
Spatio-temporal stochastic rainfall modeling (collab. with Chaire Geolearning):
This work aims at developing new stochastic rainfall generators able to reproduce the main features of space-time rain fields (in particular non-stationarity and intermittency):
- At high temporal resolution (1 - 10 min) to explore the variability of rainfall intensity at city- or catchment-scale.
- At daily resolution to explore the variability of rain accumulation over a mountain range or an entire river basin catchment.
Application to hydro-meteorology:
- Mapping orographic effects in Pacific islands (collab. with University of Hawai‘i - WRRC and University of French Polynesia - GePaSud) and in the Alps (collab. with University of Lausanne - IDYST).
- Stochastic weather generation for plant health epidemiological surveillance (collab. with BEYOND project).
- Combining in-situ stream intermittence observations and regional scale hydro-climatic projections in view of evaluating the evolution of stream intermittence in a changing climate (collab. with INRAE-RiverLy).
- Benoit L, Sichoix L (2023), Sub-daily rainfall patterns in the mountainous regions of the Island of Tahiti: insights from a one-year rain gauge network expansion, Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies, 50, 101559, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrh.2023.101559.
- Peleg N, Torelló-Sentelles H, Mariethoz G, Benoit L, Leitão J, Marra F (2023), Brief communication: the potential use of low-cost acoustic sensors in short-term urban flood warnings, Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 23, 1233–1240, https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-23-1233-2023.
- Benoit L, Sichoix L, Nugent A, Lucas M, Giambelluca T (2022), Stochastic daily rainfall generation on tropical islands with complex topography, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 26, 2113–2129, https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-26-2113-2022.
- Nussbaumer R, Bauer S, Benoit L, Mariethoz G, Liechti F, Schmid B (2021), Quantifying year-round nocturnal bird migration with a fluid dynamics model, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 18, 20210194, https://doi.org/10.1098/rsif.2021.0194.
- Michelon A, Benoit L, Beria H, Ceperley N, Schaefli B (2021), Benefits from high-density rain gauge observations for hydrological response analysis in a small alpine catchment, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 25, 2301-2325, https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-25-2301-2021.
- Benoit L (2021), Radar and rain gauge data fusion based on disaggregation of radar imagery, Water Resources Research, 27, e2020WR027899, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020WR027899.
- Benoit L, Lucas M, Tseng H, Huang Y-F, Tsang Y-P, Nugent A, Giambelluca T, Mariethoz G (2021), High space-time resolution observation of extreme orographic rain gradients in a Pacific Island catchment, Frontiers in Earth Science: Hydrosphere, 8, 546246, https://doi.org/10.3389/feart.2020.546246.
- Benoit L, Vrac M, Mariethoz G (2020), Nonstationary stochastic rain type generation: accounting for climate drivers, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 24, 2841-2854, https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-24-2841-2020.
- Nussbaumer R, Benoit L, Mariethoz G, Liechti F, Bauer S, Schmid B (2019), A geostatistical approach to estimate high resolution nocturnal bird migration densities from a weather radar network, Remote Sensing, 11, 2233, https://doi.org/10.3390/rs11192233.
- Benoit L, Gourdon A, Vallat R, Irarrazaval I, Gravey M, Lehmann B, Prasicek G, Graff D, Herman F, Mariethoz G (2019), A high-resolution image time series of the Gorner Glacier – Swiss Alps – derived from repeated UAV surveys, Earth System Science data, 11, 579-588, https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-11-579-2019.
- Benoit L, Vrac M, Mariethoz G (2018), Dealing with non-stationarity in sub-daily stochastic rainfall models, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 22, 5919–5933, https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-22-5919-2018.
- Benoit L, Allard D, Mariethoz G (2018), Stochastic Rainfall Modeling at Sub-kilometer Scale, Water Resources Research, 54, 4108-4130, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018WR022817.
- Benoit L, Mariethoz G (2017), Generating synthetic rainfall with geostatistical simulations, Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Water, https://doi.org/10.1002/wat2.1199.
- Lombardi D, Benoit L, Camelbeeck T, Martin O, Meynard C, Thom C (2016), Bimodal pattern of seismicity detected at the ocean margin of an Antarctic ice shelf, Geophysical Journal International, 206, 1375–1381, https://doi.org/10.1093/gji/ggw214.
- Benoit L, Dehecq A, Pham H-T, Vernier F, Trouve E, Moreau L, Martin O, Thom C, Pierrot-Deseilligny M, Briole P (2015), Multi-method monitoring of Glacier d’Argentiere dynamics, Annals of Glaciology, 56, 118-128, https://doi.org/10.3189/2015AoG70A985.
- Benoit L, Briole P, Martin O, Thom C, Malet JP, Ulrich P (2015), Monitoring landslide displacements with the Geocube wireless network of low-cost GPS, Engineering Geology, 195, 111-121, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2015.05.020.
- Benoit L, Briole P, Martin 0, Thom C (2014), Real-time deformation monitoring by a wireless network of low-cost GPS, Journal of Applied Geodesy, 119–128, https://doi.org/10.1515/jag-2013-0023.
Most of the software related to the above papers is open-source and freely available in my GitHub repository: https://github.com/LionelBenoit
Since 2021: Research scientist at INRAE-BioSP (Avignon, France).
2015-2019: PhD student at University of Lausanne - IDYST - Gaia Lab (Lausanne, Switzerland). Thesis: High resolution stochastic modeling of local rain fields.
2011-2014: PhD student at the French mapping agency (IGN) - LASTIG (Saint-Mandé, France) and Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris - Laboratoire de Géologie (Paris, France). Thesis: Real-time deformation monitoring by a wireless network of low-cost GPS.
2008-2010: Engineering School student at Ecole Nationale des Sciences Géographiques (Champs-sur-Marne, France). Thesis: Reprocessing of the French national gravimetric network.